Today is July 1st and that marks the start of the Art for games challenges!
Environments are a huge part of next-gen games. No matter if it’s a gold clad palace or dirty backstreet tattoo parlour, environments ground us in the world and tell us a story. Let’s depict a slice of that with the first of the ArtforGames challenges!
Slice of Environment Diorama
Your brief is to create an environment diorama of a well known place. It could be a famous or interesting building from your hometown, a market scene from china, a scene from an old game re-imagined or a place in a film. The diorama should be like a cut-out of the environment. A slice of the scene. Not the entire building but a small portion of it created in detail. Think about reducing the slabs of a pavement or bricks on the edges, or showing the inside of the wall. Here are some example ideas ;
N10 Downing street – The door, surrounding walls and railings, pavement and windows.
Lincoln Cathedral entrance – The door and all the surrounding details
L’institut océanographique – Entrance, the octopus sculpture, surrounding sculptural and architectural elements
Broken Sword 2 Cafe - A scene from broken sword 2 , the famous cafe. Perhaps include the seating, edge of the cobbled road, the paving and the shop front.
Chinese street market – with stalls, products, banners. Perhaps just focus on the middle shop , the vegetable stalls and the signs.
We have partnered with the following companies to provide great prizes for this art for games challenge. Prizes will be awarded for 1st place. If there enough entries we will award a 2nd & 3rd place prize also.
Marmoset Toolbag 2 Realtime rendering & Material editor $129
3 Month subscription $99
100% off any art for games courses for the 1 year. All finished entries will receive an art for games discount code offering 25% off any upcoming courses or training material.
Rules & Criteria
- All entrants must start a thread in the competition forum and keep it updated with work in progress images throughout. A minimum of 5 WIP images is required to be eligible to win the challenge.
- The thread should take the form of Environment challenge : *Street market * : *Your Name* where * is interchangeable with your title and name.
- Environment must be an exterior, but interior elements are allowed for example a street shop.
- There is no Tri count limit, or texture size limit. However it should be ‘game ready’, to fit into a next-gen game. That means no straight from zbrush high polys, but low poly models with normal maps/tesselation.
Final submission guidelines
- Final submission must be added using the ‘ My portfolio’ Link where entrants must upload 1 featured image plus a minimum of 5 breakdown images.
- Use the Challenge:SliceofLife category when submitting final work.
- Final images must be shown in real-time using an engine, marmoset or realtime shaders within your 3d application.
- Breakdowns should include individual assets, textures or other angles.
- At least 1 texture sheet will be required for the final submission.
- At least 1 untextured screenshot should be added
- Winner will be asked to provide a short breakdown and additional information, and will be featured on the front-page of Art for games.
Judges will be announced in the next few days